Lamborghini Espada

Lamborghini EspadaThe Lamborghini Espada is a grand tourer which was built by Italian car manufacturer Lamborghini between 1968 and 1978. Based on the Marzal show car, displayed at the 1967 Geneva Auto Show, and the Bertone Pirana, a radically rebodied Jaguar E-type. It was to fill the spot of a true four seat car in Lamborghini’s lineup, which already included the 400GT and Miura. 1217 cars were made, making it the most successful Lamborghini model at the time. The car was designed by Marcello Gandini of Bertone. The name “Espada” means “sword” in Spanish, referring to the sword that bullfighters use to kill the bulls. The Espada was originally fitted with a 4L 325 bhp (242 kW) V12 engine, fully independent suspension and four wheel disc brakes. Most transmissions were manual, and the Espada also introduced one of the first automatic transmissions able to absorb the torque of a large sporting V12. It had unusual gearing, with 3 ratios: drive, 1 and reverse. During its 10 year production the car underwent some changes, and three different models were produced. These were the S1 (1968-1970), the S2 (1970-1972) and the S3 (1972-1978). Each model featured engine power improvements, but only minor details were changed with the exterior design. The interior was altered dramatically between each model. An all new dashboard and steering wheel was installed for the S2, and the interior was again revamped for the S3. In 1970, power assisted steering was offered as an option, and in 1974 an automatic transmission was also offered. In 1975 impact bumpers had to be installed to meet United States safety requirements, and some people consider cars produced with them to be the S4, but Lamborghini did not officially change the designation. Near the end of the Espada’s life, Bertone designed a four door prototype, which was never put into production.

Engine:
3929 cc 60° V12
325 bhp (242 kW)
(1968 – 1970)
3929 cc 60° V12
350 bhp (261 kW)
(1970 – 1978)

Advertisements